A man has been charged with attempted murder and possessing an offensive weapon after a police officer was stabbed in the head in east London.
The PC was attacked as he tried to stop a van in Leyton early on Thursday. He managed to Taser his assailant while being stabbed in the head and body.
He suffered multiple injuries but the Met Police says he will recover.
Muhammed Rodwan, 56, from Luton, is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Two uniformed officers tried to stop the van at the junction of Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road, the Met said.
The injured PC, 28, is a patrol officer who has been with the force for about 10 years.
Speaking earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the attack “underscores for me the bravery of our police, people who actually go towards danger to keep us safer”.
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the British-Iranian woman jailed in Iran for alleged spying, is now in a hospital psychiatric ward, her husband says.
Richard Ratcliffe said he feared the Iranian Revolutionary Guard could be isolating his wife in a Tehran hospital to press her to sign denouncements.
It comes after Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe, 40, went on hunger strike for 15 days last month in protest at her detention.
She was jailed in 2016 after being convicted of spying, which she denies.
In a press release, the Free Nazanin Campaign said it was not known what treatment she was receiving or how long she was expected to remain in hospital.
Her father said he visited the hospital on Tuesday but was not allowed to see his daughter and that she has not been allowed to contact her family.
The campaign said before being transferred, Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe had told relatives: “I was healthy and happy when I came to Iran to see my parents.
“Three and a bit years later and I am admitted to a mental health clinic.
“Look at me now – I ended up in an asylum. It should be an embarrassment.
“Prison is getting harder and harder for me. I hate being played in the middle of a political game. I just hate it.”
Her transfer follows her hunger strike last month in protest at her “unfair imprisonment”, during which time Mr Ratcliffe also did not eat and camped on the pavement outside the Iranian Embassy in London.
In January, Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe, from London, went on a three-day hunger strike in protest against being denied specialist medical care.
Mr Ratcliffe said he had felt “euphoric” when he first heard his wife had been moved to a hospital. thinking it could be a prelude to getting treatment or even her release.
However, after her father was refused access to visit her in hospital or even allowed a phone call, the family has grown increasingly concerned.
“Are they isolating her again to squeeze her?” he said, in an interview on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, suggesting the Iranian Revolutionary Guard may be putting pressure on her to sign various denouncements.
He said he had asked embassy officials to visit her as soon as possible.
Earlier he said it was “unnerving” not knowing what was happening, adding he would follow up the case with the next prime minister.
Earlier this year, foreign secretary and Tory leadership hopeful Jeremy Hunt granted Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe diplomatic protection in a bid to resolve her case.
In 2017 Boris Johnson, his rival to become Conservative leader and prime minister apologised after saying that Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was in Iran “teaching people journalism” – despite her family’s insistence she was there to visit relatives.
He also told MPs the government was in “no doubt that Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was in Iran on holiday and that was the sole purpose of her visit”.
He has repeatedly said the responsibility for her continued detention lies with the Revolutionary Guard.
In a statement, the Foreign Office said it was “extremely concerned about the welfare of Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe”.
A spokesman said: “We urge Iran to allow family members to visit and check on her care as a matter of urgency.
“We will continue to call for her release at the highest levels.”
Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested at Tehran’s Imam Khomeini Airport in April 2016 and has always maintained the visit was to introduce her daughter, Gabriella, to her relatives.
The couple’s five-year-old daughter, Gabriella, has stayed in Iran with her grandparents since her mother’s arrest.
Before being transferred, she was being detained in Tehran’s Evin Prison.
Celtic have rejected a second bid, in the region of £25m, from Arsenal for Scotland left-back Kieran Tierney.
The English Premier League club, who had previously had an offer of £15m turned down, had been optimistic a deal could be reached for the 22-year-old.
On Friday, Arsenal increased their instalments-based offer for the defender, who is believed to be keen on moving south.
Talks are expected to continue between Celtic and Arsenal this week.
Tierney, who has also been linked with Italian club Napoli, is currently recovering from a double hernia operation and missed Celtic’s opening Champions League qualifier against Sarajevo.
If the deal goes through, he would become the most expensive player in Scottish football history, with a £25m move surpassing the £19.7m Celtic received when striker Moussa Dembele joined Lyon in August 2018.
Tierney, who has been restricted to nine appearances this year, has won four league titles, two Scottish Cups and two League Cups for Celtic.
A London restaurant has committed to running its business without single-use plastics.
There are more than 15,000 restaurants in the city, and most are using a large amount of single-use plastics including cling film to cover food.
Spring, which is based at Somerset House in Aldwych, has stopped using cling film and plastic straws and has also asked its suppliers to deliver food in reusable packaging.
It hopes other restaurants will follow its lead.
Video by Sucheera Maguire.
Aston Villa are set to sign Brentford defender Ezri Konsa in a £12m deal.
The 21-year-old has been a key target for Villa boss Dean Smith, who managed the England Under-21 centre-back when he was in charge of Brentford.
He played 47 times for Brentford after a £2.5m move from Charlton in 2018.
Villa are keen to strengthen in defence after signing Tyrone Mings, 26, from Bournemouth and are still exploring the possibility of re-signing Manchester United’s Axel Tuanzebe, 21, on loan.
Tuanzebe helped Villa to promotion back to the Premier League via the Championship play-offs.
Since promotion, Villa have signed Mings for £20m, defender Kortney Hause from Wolves, winger Anwar El Ghazi from Lille, left-back Matt Targett from Southampton, forward Wesley from Club Brugge and midfielder Jota from Birmingham.
Smith’s side start their Premier League season away at Tottenham on 10 August.